Recommended Reading

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Want to Get Better Faster?

Here's a tip that helped me make my greatest gains in skill:
Practice every day!

Your first thought might have been "I wish I had the time." Maybe you thought "That's not easy at all."

But think about this -- how long does it take to throw all of your basic kicks? How much time do you need to practice moving your hand first when you throw a reverse punch?

Most of us don't have the time or the inclination to train for several hours every day. But everyone can spend five or ten minutes a day refining a technique, visualizing the form they learned the night before, or doing some light shadow boxing in front of the television.

Practicing everyday lets
you focus on what you need to work on. By making a small commitment each and every day you will deepen your practice and speed your skill progression.

Here's what I'm currently practicing every day:
Thai style roundhouse kick
Lead hook (focusing on properly covering with the rear hand)

Sometimes I get carried away and work on the new throw I learned last week . . . and then I've spent 6 minutes on all three techniques.

What's your current practice? Start with one phrase from a kata or one basic technique, and let us know how it goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment